Tools and Products
Webinar: Deploying ITS Standards Using USDOT Testing Tools
The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) hosted a webinar April 17, 2019 to discuss deployment of interoperable transportation systems using USDOT software tools. These tools, the Test Procedure Generator (TPG) and the Center-to-Center Reference Implementation (C2C RI) are intended to fill existing gaps in ITS standards consistency, interoperability, conformance, and development of test documents.
The webinar introduces both tools and lessons learned from a local agency who deployed the Traffic Management Data Dictionary (TMDD) standard using the C2C RI tool. Please click here for a recording of the webinar and click here to download the slides.
Presentation: 2018 Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Annual Meeting – USDOT Tools for ITS Standards Deployment
A presentation delivered at the ITE 2018 Annual Meeting provided an overview of the TPG and C2C RI and their benefits. Please click here for the slides.
ITE Journal July 2017: Introduction to United States Department of Transportation Tools for ITS Standards
The ITS Standards program published an article in the July 2017 ITE Journal highlighting the TPG and C2C RI Tool. To read the article please click here.
Test Procedure Generator (TPG)
TPG v3 is now available. The TPG automates the development of test procedures for NTCIP Standards.
USDOT Announces the Release of the TPG v3 Software Tool
TPG v3 updates include:
- Compatibility with Windows 7 and Windows 10.
- Compatibility with protected MS Word version of standards available from the Standards Development Organizations. The Word versions of 1203, 1209 and 1211 are now posted online, with more standards being added in the near future. The documents can be found here: https://www.ntcip.org/library/documents/
- Support for deprecated and obsolete requirements, dialogs, and objects found in the standard
- Inclusion of XML Schema documentation for the TPG produced test procedures in XML format
- Compatibility with Microsoft Office 2010
- Minor bug fixes
USDOT is pleased to provide the ITS Standards development and deployment communities with the updated tool. The TPG provides users with two important capabilities for the National Transportation Communications for ITS Protocol (NTCIP) Center-to-Field (C2F) Device Interface Standards with Systems Engineering Content and follow NTCIP 8002 Annex B1 formatting. These capabilities include:
- Guiding the development of test procedures for selected requirements in NTCIP C2F standards.
- Importing draft standards from NTCIP C2F standards developers into the TPG to see a report of any non-compliance to NTCIP 8002 Annex B1. The report provides any breakages between requirement and design detail.
Using the TPG tool will reduce developmental risks, effort, and the cost of developing standards and test procedures, which in turn will encourage the deployment of interoperable NTCIP C2F systems. Agencies can use the test procedures generated by the TPG to help determine an implementation’s conformance to the NTCIP C2F Device Interface Standards. If extensions to the standard have been added for the project, the test procedures generated by the TPG can be used to help determine compliance to a project specification.
Please note this download for TPGv3 is compatible with Windows 7 or Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2010 (32 bit) only. The 64 bit version of Microsoft Office has known compatibility issues, for more information please see the user manual.
Download the installation files and user manual for TPG v3.
Center to Center (C2C) Reference Implementation (RI) Tool – Version 3.0 Now Available
The Center to Center (C2C) Reference Implementation (RI) Tool supports efficient deployment of systems using C2C communications by providing a means to verify conformance to C2C standards. Specifically the C2C RI supports conformance testing for:
- Traffic Management Data Dictionary (TMDD) v3.1 standard, and
- NTCIP 2306 v01 Application Profile for XML Message Encoding and Transport in ITS Center-to-Center Communications.
The RI conducts its conformance testing of the System under Test (SUT) C2C interface by two means. First it examines the interface description document (WSDL) for conformance to the standards. It then tests the interface by communicating with the SUT. This communication consists of dialogs between the RI and the SUT. The test dialogs are determined by the selection of user needs and their derived requirements for the particular test configuration. Because the C2C RI controls the sequence and contents of the protocol messages sent to the SUT, it can test a wide range of both expected and unexpected (invalid) behaviors.
Three functions are performed by the RI. Configuration of a test is the first function which allows the selection of user needs and requirements to be tested. It results in a set of test cases that can be used to verify that the SUT conforms to the selected requirements. Execution of a test is second. When carrying out this function, the RI enables the user to select test cases for execution and then runs those test cases logging the details and results of the test. The third function is reporting, which is provided to assist the RI user in preparing test result reports for sharing with other stakeholders.
Using the C2C RI tool will reduce developmental risks, effort, and the cost and provide consistent interpretation of the implemented standard, which in turn will encourage the deployment of interoperable NTCIP C2C systems.
Version 3.0 of the C2 CRI tool includes one new feature::
- Conformance testing for the TMDD v3.1 standard
In addition, Version 3.0 included minor updates to support the following functions:
- Support device filtering
- Assess whether a message was properly SOAP-encoded by an external test case data file source
- Make SOAPAction headers case insensitive
For C2C RI support please contact email@example.com
Please click here to download the installation files and user manual for C2C RI Tool (included in the installer).